We all know bees are honey producers. Not all bees though but worker bees. So we’ll be looking at some fun facts about bees. Some of the facts are cool, some are weird, while others are just “wow”. So let’s look at them.
Fun facts about bees
- Honey bees can fly up to 15miles per hour.
- The honey bee’s wings stroke 11,400 times per minute (like 200 times per sec), thus making their buzz sound.
- A honey bee visit 50-100 flowers during a collection trip.
- Honey is 80% sugar and 20% water.
- To make one pound of honey, the honey bee fly around 90,000 miles that’s like three times across the globe.
- Bees don’t want to stink you because they die afterwards.
- Every bee colony has a different scent so that members can identify each colony.
- If you want a bee farm, grow more colourful flowers, they’ll locate it.
- Male bees (drones) have bigger eyes in order to locate queen bees.
- The type of flower the worker bees take their nectar from determine the flavour of the honey.
- The honey bee is the only insect that produces food eaten by man.
- Honey bees produce bees wax from eight paired glands from the underside of their abdomen.
- The queen bee lives for about 3-4 years. She is the busiest in the summer months, when the hive needs to be at its maximum strength.
- The queen bee can lay up to 2500 eggs in a day.
- The queen be can mate with 15-18 drones over a 1-2 day period of mating.
- It takes one ounce of honey to fuel a bee’s flight around the world.
- Bees mate high in the sky afterwards the drone loses its reproductive organ and dies…. really sad.
- A populous colony may contain 40,000 to 60,000 bees during the late spring or early summer.
- Honey bees help other plants grow through pollination.
Read also: Fun facts about apples
- Honey bees must consume about 16-20 pounds of honey to be able to produce each pound of bees wax biochemically.
- Worker bees ate the only ones that go outside the hive. The drones and queen bee only do that when its mating time. So all the bees colonies you see are worker bees.
- If the queen bee dies, workers will create a new queen by selecting a young larva and feeding it a special food called “royal jelly” . This enables the larva to develop in to a fertile queen.
- Honey has lots of health benefits. You can either eat it or apply directly to your skin.
Honey bees live in hives and are divided into 3;
Queen: Who runs the while hive. Her job is to lay eggs.
Worker: These are the honey producers (all female). They go in search for food, build and protect the hive, clean and circulate air by beating their wings.
Drones: The male bees and their purpose is to mate with the queen bee.
So this is all we have here concerning fun facts about bees. You have more, you can drop them at the comment section.
Please help share to where need. We’ll appreciate that.